Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Reminder: Garden Meeting Today

We're meeting about garden stuffs today at the garden. 5pm give or take. We're planning to make Steve's Famous Chicago Dogs. We'll bring dogs and buns, Steve has the condiments, and please bring what you'd like to go with them.

There's work to be done - 
1. Cold weather:
    a. Bring old sheets or row cover material.
    b. We need to talk about how to share the responsibility for covering crops. There are a lot of tomatoes at stake, and it's most definitely not Steve's responsibility. We will probably be responsible for our own boxes, as many of the winter crops don't really need covering and each family can determine this for themselves, but we can talk about this too.
2. Finances: we'll settle up with Steve and other costs of the garden. 
3. Weeding
4. Talk about cold frames and the months to come and winterizing/cover crops
5. Clean up other areas

Please add to the list people! Who's coming?


-Stacy

10 comments:

  1. I am planning on being there with one or both of the kiddos and a blanket to tuck the veggies in with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to the dentist at 2, then to water, & hopefully will be there for
    the meeting,
    Hope we did not freeze...



    JANET ANDERSON

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry we weren't able to make it to the Gahrden parte meeting...Danette filled me/us in:) I'll bring a check to Bookclub tonight. Who do I make it out to? See you all there at 6:)
    Jen Wasserloos

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's a recipe I found to help use the Zuccini's up:

    ZUCCHINI CORN CHOWDER

    3-4 ears or corn, uncooked & cut from cob.
    2 tbsp. butter
    3 c. sliced zucchini
    1 c. finely chopped onion
    3/4 c. finely diced bell pepper
    1 clove garlic
    2-3 diced medium red potatoes with skin on
    1/4 c. diced ham or Canadian bacon
    1/4 tsp. crushed dried basil leaves
    1/4 tsp. crushed dried tarragon leaves
    1/4 tsp. coarse ground pepper
    1/4 tsp. paprika
    3 c. water
    1 can undiluted evaporated milk
    1/4 c. all purpose flour
    Salt to taste

    In heavy saucepan saute zucchini, onion, green pepper, garlic and potatoes in butter. Add corn, water and seasonings. Bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat; simmer 20 minutes. Blend together milk and flour until smooth. Add to corn mixture gradually; cook and stir until thickened. Serve hot. Makes 8 servings.

    Bon-apetit!
    Jen Wasserloos

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh...do we need to water the garden today...I was told that we were holding off on watering so the tomatoes would turn red? Thanks!

    Jen Wasserloos

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's a salsa recipe - since our tomatoFres are starting to ripen!!!!

    Fresh Lims
    1 Mango
    1 Avacado
    4 Fresh Tomatoes
    1 Jalapeno (we used several kinds from the "salsa garden!)
    1/2 cup fresh cilantro
    3 cloves of garlic
    1 tsp salt
    2 tblsp lime juice
    1/4 cup red onion
    3 tblsp Olive Oil

    mix together and let sit for 1/2 hour in the fridge - YUMMMMMMMM:)
    Enjoy!
    Jen Wasserloos
    (Chuck found this one!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's a recipe for the plums:)

    It'll be out of the oven soon, so I'll have to do reviews on it later...

    It's called Zwetschekuchen (German Plum Tart)


    4 c all-purpose flour
    1 1/3 c white sugar
    1 tsp grated fresh lemon peel
    1 pinch ground cinnamon
    1 c butter (in 2 chunks)
    2 eggs
    2 egg yolks
    1 teaspoon water (if needed)
    3 lbs Italian prune plums ( I used the ones form Steve's house)
    1 tsp white sugar or to taste

    directions:

    place flour, sugar, lemon peel, cinnamon, and butter into the work bowl of a food processor (I did it in a regular bowl w. a spoon..comes the same!!) Mix until grainy. Add eggs and egg yolks and mix until dough gathers itself togather into one dough ball...if dough doesn't ball up, spinkle several drops of water into the dough...mix...place dough into a covered container (I put tinfoil over my bown) and refrigerate at least 3 hours or preferably, overnight.

    Next day, preheat oven to 350 F Allow the dough to rest in room temp for about 30 mins to warm up


    Roll out the dough on a well-floured surface to make a 9 1/2 inch circle. Dough will be rich and sticky. Scrape up the dough cirlce and press into a 9 inch pie dish Quarter and slice the plums (I havled them). Place skin sides down into the dough in a neat ring...starting at the outer edge and working in a neat row towards the center

    Bake in preheated oven until the plus are bubbling hot and the crust starts to brown (about 45 mins
    Allow the tart to cool and spring 1 tsp sugar b/f serving...

    bon appetit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I heard there was a "garden meeting" tonight, but after-the-fact...sorry we missed it...please let us know about the next one. Thank you!

    Jen Wasserloos

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just harvested a bunch of fresh cooking sage here at our place. If you would like some stop by 1055 TL drive.

    ReplyDelete