Agreed - definitely pick summer squash! The way to tell the difference between summer and winter squash: Most of the squash near the corn is winter squash. Winter squash vines wander away from the plant, but summer squash are big bushy plants with the fruit close to the base. I've been trying to put winter squashes up on something (produce baskets) to keep them out of the dirt. Winter squash can stay where they're at. They're large! There are lots of them to go around when the time comes!
When you're there, pick cucumbers (in tires) and beans as well as anything else that is ripe.
ALSO, there ARE tomatoes! The yellow ones are ripening. They're small (grape or cherry tomatoes), and it's about the biggest plant there. Any bright vibrant color is ripe. The red tomatoes don't look bright yellow on their way to being ripe. They look greenish orangeish. I think the red ones are going to hit big soon.
I think that we still have peas possibly because of a benevolent garden elf of sorts who may or may not have planted another crop. The garden is going great folks! Let's keep it going and take care of some maintenance, payment, and communication issues while we're there together.
I also propose a monthly meeting so we can keep on the fall duties and anything else.
I posted this to the blog, too. It's at tlgardensociety.blogspot.com. So we don't have to spam everybody, we can move the communication there or to our normal communication list, although I don't know who the keeper of the list is for sure. If you're not on the list but want to be, let me know. Thanks.
--
Stacy Warmack, S.E.
Wild Country Engineering
Stacy Warmack, S.E.
Wild Country Engineering
On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 11:04 AM, karen pinto <zone45@gmail.com> wrote:
I will be back in UT after the 6th, but not on the 10th.... will be in SLC
kpinto--On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 9:02 AM, judy eddins <jeddins@allwest.net> wrote:
We need to be picking squash, folks. I picked a couple zuchini about a foot long and there are many of those and many little yellow squash almost ready. The big ones of the other types I left because I don't know how to tell when they are ready to pick.Yes, Warmacks, I stole a couple peas. How can you still have them growing so late????????I would like to suggest a business meeting to settle our water with Steve and pay any other outstanding bill, the Thurs. after Labor Day, Sept 9. Yeah or ney? Judy ps. I did pick one tomato that was small but very red.Judy E.
jeddins@allwest.net
thanks kpinto
We can be there on the 7th. Looking forward to it. We have enjoyed some of the zucchinis. In fact the other night we had zucchini pie. Here is the recipe if anyone is interested. Good stuff.
ReplyDeletecheers,
http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/zucchini-pie-10000000780293/index.html?xid=dailyrecnews-08-23-2010